Low-Autofluorescence Mono Fiber-optic Patch Cords
The Low Autofluorescence Fiber-optic (LAF) Patch cords are specially designed to minimize the fluorescence caused by photoactive compounds in the optical fiber and associated elements. Fibers with a low natural fluorescence are selected and used with glues, ferrules and protective coatings that have low or no-fluorescence. To ensure its minimal autofluorescence, each patch cord undergoes a 12-hour photobleaching process that decreases their remaining natural fluorescence. Patch cords with NA = 0.37 use all glass fiber which have a very low autofluorescence level naturally. Consequently, it is not necessary to use bleaching process on LAF patch cords with NA=0.37.
- The autofluorescence is dependent of the length of the patch cord and the fiber core diameter. In order to minimize autofluorescence, we recommend that the patch cord should be as short as possible.
- The photobleaching process creates a temporary and reversible decrease of autofluorescence. It is recommended to repeat this process before each use to minimize autofluorescence. The instructions are provided with the product.
- The photobleaching process is much more efficient for fiber with hard polymer cladding (NA=0.48, 0.53, 0.57) than ones with all glass fiber (NA= 0.22, 0.37, 0.66). For this reason, it’s not necessary to use this process on LAF patch cords with NA=0.37.
- Please note that 100 µm core - NA0.37 optical fiber into the connector A will be 15 microns decentered. For tighter tolerances, you may prefer the Mono Fiber-optic Patch cords.
Outer Diameter (μm) Core
Cladding (μm) Buffer Jacket NA Fiber-optic Code 100* 110 125 900 0.37 100/110/900-0.37 200 220 245 900 0.37 200/220/900-0.37 200 230 500 900 0.57 200/230/900-0.57 400 430 730 1100
0.57 400/430/1100-0.57 400 440 470 900 0.37 400/440/900-0.37
* 15µm decentered (A)
Description Product Termination Code FC Connector with Zirconia Ferrule
FC Connector with Metal Ferrule
FC/APC Connector with Zirconia Ferrule FCA SMA Connector with Metal Ferrule SMA Zirconia Ferrule OD 1.25 mm ZF1.25 Zirconia Ferrule OD = 1.25 mm with Flange
Zirconia Ferrule OD = 1.25 mm with Peek Flange
Metal Ferrule OD 1.25 mm MF1.25 Zirconia Ferrule OD = 2.5 mm ZF2.5 Zirconia Ferrule OD = 2.5 mm with Flange
Zirconia Ferrule OD = 2.5 mm with Peek Flange
Metal Ferrule OD = 2.5 mm MF2.5 Slim Magnetic Connector SMC M3 Connector CM3 M3 Connector Peek Plastic CM3(P) M2 Connector CM2
Low Autofluorescence Patch Cords
- Application Note
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh