Low-Autofluorescence Mono Fiber-optic Patch Cords
The Low Autofluorescence Fiber-optic (LAF) Patch cords are specially designed to minimize the fluorescence caused by photoactive compounds in the optical fiber and associated elements. Fibers with a low natural fluorescence are selected and used with glues, ferrules and protective coatings that have low or no-fluorescence. To ensure its minimal autofluorescence, each patch cord undergoes a 12-hour photobleaching process that decreases their remaining natural fluorescence. Patch cords with NA = 0.37 use all glass fiber which have a very low autofluorescence level naturally. Consequently, it is not necessary to use bleaching process on LAF patch cords with NA=0.37.
- The autofluorescence is dependent of the length of the patch cord and the fiber core diameter. In order to minimize autofluorescence, we recommend that the patch cord should be as short as possible.
- The photobleaching process creates a temporary and reversible decrease of autofluorescence. It is recommended to repeat this process before each use to minimize autofluorescence. The instructions are provided with the product.
- The photobleaching process is much more efficient for fiber with hard polymer cladding (NA=0.48, 0.53, 0.57) than ones with all glass fiber (NA= 0.22, 0.37, 0.66). For this reason, it’s not necessary to use this process on LAF patch cords with NA=0.37.
- Please note that 100 µm core - NA0.37 optical fiber into the connector A will be 15 microns decentered. For tighter tolerances, you may prefer the Mono Fiber-optic Patch cords.
NA Fiber-Optic Code** Silica/Silica 100* 110 125 0.37 100/110/XXX-0.37 200 220 245 0.37 200/220/XXX-0.37 400 440 470 0.37 400/440/XXX-0.37 Silica/Polymer 200 230 500 0.57 200/230/XXX-0.57 400 430 730 0.57 400/430/XXX-0.57
* 15µm decentered (A)
** XXX is representative of the jacket code, see JACKETS tab to choose the best one for your needs
Comparison Table : Protective Jacket Code Description Color OD
Flexibility Fiber break protection Fiber pull protection Proposed usage 900 Hytrel loose tube 0.9 Black* 0.9 0.5
Cable to small freely-moving animal (mice) 1100
Hytrel loose tube 1.1 mm
Black* 0.9 0.5 Excellent
Low Cable to small freely-moving animal (mice) 3000 PVC jacket 3 mm Black 3.0 5.8 Low Good Excellent General use cable LWMJ Stainless monocoil with PVC 2.4 mm Black 2.4 7.5 Good
Good Freely-moving animal light delivery with large mice or rat PKMJ
Stainless monocoil with kevlar and PUR 3.0 mm
Black 3.0 11 Good
Excellent Best compromise between flexibility and robustness ARMO Stainless armor 2.3 mm Silver 2.3 9.2 Low Excellent Excellent Preferred for maximum robustness ARBK Stainless armor with PVC 3 mm Black 3.0 15 Low Excellent Excellent Preferred for maximum robustness
* Other color available on request.
Jacket availability may vary with optical fibre type
Low Autofluorescence Patch Cords
Patch Cord Photobleaching
- le choix d'une sélection entraîne une actualisation complète de la page